Prefinished Cedar Dutch Lap Siding
Dutch lap siding is an exterior type of siding style that has quite a few names to describe this unique profile. This siding profile is also known as german lap, german dutch lap, dutch cove lap, drop lap, drop siding, cove lap, wood pattern 105, wp105, dutch shiplap, or german shiplap. The profile is very similar to traditional shiplap and channel rustic siding, except for the radius section on the upper leading edge of each board. While shiplap siding has no detail on the face of the board, channel rustic has a square relief milled on the top side, versus the Dutch lap has a radius (scooped) groove profile. The Dutch Lap profile is installed exactly like shiplap, so it is very good at sealing out the wind, rain, and other natural elements. This unique profile can be found on almost every type of siding material on the market, including vinyl siding, because of the unique shadow line it creates.
STK grade (also known as a select tight knot) kiln-dried western red cedar is the most readily grade available. The material will have sound tight knots visible and are typically graded on the rough side. This product is available with a smooth face to match the smooth radius profile.
Prefinished Color Options
Cedar Dutch Lap siding can be pre-finished in various colors and products. A wood toner will allow the natural wood grain to show but will have a natural tint to the wood (depending on product color). If you're looking for a bit more UV protection, a semi-transparent stain is a good choice, and you will still see some of the wood's natural grain. A semi-solid or solid color stain is a good option if you're looking for a more consistent solid color with less wood grain showing through the finish. All wood siding profiles are available with a primer-only coating option so you can have the topcoat applied in the field after installation. We can do almost any color you can imagine. If you don't find a color you love out of our 40+ stain color options, please give us a call - custom colors are available.
What Are The Benefits To Having Your New Dutch Lap Siding Prefinished?
- Instant Curb Appeal - As the siding is installed, the house comes to life as the final color has already been applied.
- No Weather Delays - No weather delays due to poor weather conditions prohibiting a painter from applying the final color coat.
- Pre-Finishing is available year-round - Our facility is climate controlled, and machines run all 12 months.
- Instant UV and Moisture Protection
- No Lap Marks
- No Streaking
- No Shrink Lines
- No Overspray, No Drips, and No Runs
- Cost Savings vs. Field Painting
- Six-Sided Protection - our process allows us to apply a finish to all six sides of the wood, which is the best way to protect natural wood from UV and moisture issues.
- Factory Controlled Quality - Each board will have a consistent finish from one end to the other and from the first piece to the last.
- Material is dry before installation.
How to Install Dutch Lap Siding
We recommend following the WRCLA guidelines for Installing Western Red Cedar Lap Siding but also follow all of your state and local building codes for proper installation.