Cypress Tongue and Groove Siding
Why Cypress Tongue and Groove Siding?
Cypress wood siding is not only versatile but very durable as a siding material. The tongue and groove (also known as T&G) siding profile provides a unique look for a true custom home. This siding style can be installed horizontally or vertically. It can be milled with a V design, square edge, or a custom nickel gap profile. With the tongue and groove design, each board has a tongue milled on one edge and a groove milled on the other edge. The boards fit together to seal out rain, snow, and other natural elements from getting inside the structure. Cypress wood contains a natural preservative oil called cypressene, making the wood rot and termite resistant. Cypress is dimensionally stable (after acclimation) and naturally resistant to splitting and warping, making it perfect for external home applications such as siding and trim. This profile can be used for porch ceilings as well and is available in smooth or rough sawn texture.
Cypress Wood Grades Available
Many of our products are available in Select (highest grade possible) or #2 Common Grade - sound and possible unsound knots are acceptable.
The most popular size material for tongue and groove is 1" x 6" (Nominal size) but a 1" x 8" (Nominal size) may be available as well. Please contact our sales department for availability.
Cypress tongue and groove siding can be pre-finished in various colors and products. A wood toner will allow the natural wood grain to show but will have a natural tint to the wood (depending on product color). If you're looking for a bit more UV protection, a semi-transparent stain is a good choice, and you will still see some of the wood's natural grain. A semi-solid or solid color stain is a good option if you're looking for a more consistent solid color with less wood grain showing through the finish. All wood siding profiles are available with a primer-only coating option so you can have the topcoat applied in the field after installation. We can do almost any color you can imagine. If you don't find a color you love out of our 40+ stain color options, please give us a call - custom colors are available.
Benefits of Prefinishing
- Instant Curb Appeal - As the siding is installed, the house comes to life as the final color has already been applied.
- No Weather Delays - No weather delays due to poor weather conditions prohibiting a painter from applying the final color coat.
- Pre-Finishing is available year-round - Our facility is climate controlled, and machines run all 12 months.
- Instant UV and Moisture Protection
- No Lap Marks
- No Streaking
- No Shrink Lines
- No Overspray, No Drips, and No Runs
- Cost Savings vs. Field Painting
- Six-Sided Protection - our process allows us to apply a finish to all six sides of the wood, which is the best way to protect natural wood from UV and moisture issues.
- Factory Controlled Quality - Each board will have a consistent finish from one end to the other and from the first piece to the last.
- Material is dry before installation.
Cypress Siding Installation Guidelines
Southern Cypress Manufacturers Association Cypress Siding Installation Guidelines