Prefinished Wood Siding
What does prefinishing mean?
To prefinish (also known as Factory Finished) wood siding means to either apply a primer, semi-transparent stain, semi-solid stain, solid stain or a solid paint finish to the material before it is installed on the house. While prefinishing works really well on exterior siding, trim, fascia and soffit material it can also be done to interior wood such as tongue and groove porch ceiling or wall boards, interior tongue and groove paneling, shiplap, trim, and moulding. With our process all 6 sides (face, back, edges and ends) of the material will be coated (one side sacrificial) including the back side of the material (also know as back priming). What this does is it helps to seal the natural wood from any moisture intrusion helping the wood last longer. Once the material is factory finished you will need to ensure that the material is kept clean and dry once it arrives on site and prior to installation. Primed wood siding will need to be top coated in the field within 60 days of priming for best results. With any material that is factory finished, all field cuts will need to be re-sealed with the appropriate primer, stain or paint. With every order, we send additional touch up material so you can seal any end cuts during installation.
All of our natural wood siding profiles can be pre-finished in a transparent stain which will allow the true wood grain show but will have a natural tint to the wood (depending on color). If you're looking for a little more UV protection, a semi-transparent stain can be used which will continue to show the natural grain of the wood. If a more consistent solid color finish is desired, the use of a semi-solid or solid color stain should be used. For maximum protection, we can apply one coat of primer and two coats of acrylic latex for a solid color finish. We are capable of pre-finishing these products in almost any color you can imagine. The color samples found here on our website are our most popular colors but you are not limited to just these select colors. If you have a color picked out, call us and we will be happy to assist you with a brushed proof for you.
Why you should pre-finishing natural wood siding:
- Six Sided Protection - our process allows us to apply stain or paint to all six sides of the wood which is the best way to protect natural wood not only for UV protection but also for moisture protection.
- Instant Curb Appeal - As the siding is installed you can see the house come to life as there is no waiting for a painter to arrive on site to cover factory primed boards.
- No Weather Delays - No weather delays due to poor weather conditions that prohibit a painter from applying the final color coat.
- Pre-Finishing is available year round - Our facility is climate controlled and machines run all 12 months.
- No Streaking, No Runs, No Drips and No Shrink Lines
- No Overspray or Environmental Issues at the job site.
- Cost Savings vs. Field Painting
- Factory Controlled Quality - Each board will have a consistent color not only from one end to the other but from the first piece to the last piece the color will be the same.
- Material is dry prior to installation